Motorola Droid 4
|Motorola Droid 4|
Also see: http://elektranox.org/droid4/
|Kernel version||5.0||Mainline + some patches not yet in mainline|
|Serial||Yes||On MicroUSB port, requires special cable|
|3D Acceleration||Not yet||Also PowerVR - see Motorola Droid 4/PowerVR|
|2G/3G data||WIP||Reported to work, no UI yet - see https://github.com/maemo-leste/connui-cellular/|
|SMS||WIP||Reported to work, no UI yet|
|Phone calls||WIP||Reported to work, no UI yet|
|FM Receiver||Not yet|
|Accelerometer||?||Available as input device, needs MCE work|
|HDMI-out||WIP||works, but not with hildon-desktop|
Installation using kexecboot
This procedure will erase existing android and/or safestrap.
- MicroSD card, MicroUSB cable and Droid4
- Charged Droid4
- Android Tools (fastboot and adb), git (optional), and flashing tools (xzcat and dd on Linux OR Etcher on Windows)
- Host Linux or Windows system
Download from https://maedevu.maemo.org/images/droid4/
- flash-droid-4-fw.sh (Linux) or flash-droid-4-fs.bat (Windows)
- Latest maemo-leste-1.0-armhf-droid4-*.img.xz
And clone (or download the zip for):
- Power off Droid4
- Create a working directory with above mentioned files in it
- unzip VRZ_XT894_9.8.2O-72_VZW-18-8_CFC.xml.zip
- If you have safestrap on the device, turn on the droid4, go to safestrap, reboot, reboot to bootloader
- If you do not have safestrap, turn on the device, and issue on the host: adb reboot bootloader
- Run the flash-droid-4-fw script from the extracted android directory (VRZ_XT894_9.8.2O-72_VZW-18-8_CFC.xml), run as admin/root if it does not find the device
- If you get errors while writing the image files, try a better MicroUSB cable.
- Wait for the flashing script to complete. This can take a few minutes. The droid will reboot a couple of times to the bootloader.
Then go to the droid4-kexecboot directory and run (possibly as sudo):
- fastboot flash mbm path/to/android/zip/allow-mbmloader-flashing-mbm.bin
- fastboot reboot-bootloader
- fastboot flash bpsw current/droid4-kexecboot.img
- fastboot flash utags utags-mmcblk1p13.bin
Then reboot the device (hold the power button for one or two seconds) and wait for it to get through the first boot. It will show a green android with something moving in it's stomach, as well as a progress bar. Then the device should show kexecboot for a few seconds before it boots to Android.
Now, flash the Maemo Leste image to your sdcard:
- xzcat maemo-leste-1.0-armhf-droid4-20190227.img.xz | sudo dd of=/dev/MICROSDCARD-DEVICE
On Windows: Use Etcher
Wait for the sync to complete and and insert the SD card into the Droid 4. Reboot the device and select Maemo Leste from the kexecboot menu.
You will now have see Maemo Leste boot up, and show you an unaccelerated hildon-desktop after about one minute.
Safestrap+ddroid Installation (no longer recommended and outdated)
PostmarketOS has some information how to install safestrap: in wiki
Flashing the zip file is quite confusing / tricky:
Boot options, select slot with Leste, Activate.
In main menu: Install, scroll down to select ddroid-....zip file, swipe to confirm flash. You will get error, including "ApplyParsePerms, set_metadata_recursive, Error executing updater binary, Unable to mount." Red "failed" will appear. These are normal. Proceed by selecting "Reboot System", you'll get one more warning that system is not installed, swipe to confirm reboot.
Red motorola logo will appear, press search button to continue boot, phone vibrates, then vibrates again, then green led comes on. After about a minute, console appears, then disappears and X comes to life.
Kernel development (old and outdated)
Linux 4.14 plus patches